Scroll down for all the summer favorites
Herbed Cheese Straws with Sesame Seeds (serves 12-14)
- 1/2 lb. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper1
- /4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup black or white sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter or line it with parchment (baking) paper.
Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and cut it into 6 equal pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, use your palm to roll each piece into a rope about the diameter of a drinking straw. Cut each rope into 6-8-inch lengths, or shorter if you like. Sprinkle the sesame seeds evenly on a sheet of aluminum foil.
Roll each straw in the seeds, coating lightly on all sides. Place the straws about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and lightly crisp, 15-20 minutes.
Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool for 5-10 minutes. (Or, let cool completely and store the straws in an airtight container for up to 8 hours.) Transfer the cheese straws to a platter and serve warm.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3 T chopped fresh chives
- 1 T Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 gr. white pepper
- pinch salt
- 1 jicama (julienned)
- 2 cucumbers (seeded and sliced)
- 3 oranges (seedless, sectioned)
- 1 mango (peeled and sliced)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 jalapeno peppers (red, chilies cut into rings)
- 2 tsp. ground red pepper (or less to taste or substitute Chili Powder for a different flavor)
- salt (to taste)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves (chopped)
Carolina Style Barbecue BeansThese beans combine cider vinegar and ketchup to give a Southern barbecue flavor. While this BBQ bean recipe calls for a can of pork and beans as a base you can use additional lima and kidney beans with some smoked pork to give it a delicious flavor. Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 16-ounce can pork and beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-1/4-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 1/4-ounce can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbls. yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. cumin for heat or ½ tsp. ground coriander for texture
- salt to taste
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sauté onion and garlic in butter. Add ketchup, sugar, cider vinegar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well blended. Pour into a large casserole dish and add other ingredients and stir to combine. Place in hot oven and bake for one hour.
If you like a more Kansas City style bean dish, try our Baked Bean Mix, which uses Navy Beans and molasses to craft the perfect BBQ side.